The history of the Westview United
Methodist Church is rooted in the history of two congregations;
Pleasant Ridge and Pleasant Valley. These two churches were part
of a five-point circuit. The others were: Hillsboro, Green's
Chapel, and Fernvale. One minister served all five churches;
preaching at each church once a month.
All of our progress as a congregation
rests on the foundation of visionary faith by the members of the
Pleasant Valley and Pleasant Ridge Methodist Churches whose members
united in cooperation with the Tennessee Conference in plans for the
erection of the old sanctuary of Westview.
In the early 1950's, talk began to
combine the Pleasant Ridge and Pleasant Valley congregations and constructing
a new building. It was during the time Kenneth Bohannon
(1953-1956) was the pastor that dreams of the new church began.
Mr. John King gave approximately 2
acres of land on Sleepy Hollow Road for a new Methodist Church.
His only stipulation was the church be named
"Westview". Additional acreage was purchased from Marvin
Hudgins with a 30-ft. strip to Lick Creek Road (now Deer Ridge).
The County required a 50-ft. width to build a road so an additional
20-ft. strip was purchased from Marvin Hudgins. This is now
Groundbreaking ceremonies for
Westview were held on a Saturday in April 1960. Much of the beginning
work to build Westview United Methodist Church was done by
members. Some of these people were Cole Lampley, Buford Mangrum,
Joe Mangrum, Alton Mangrum, Buddy Mangrum, Roy Winters, O.C. Slaughter
(pastor), Joe H. Stinson, George Stinson, Vestle Stinson, and District
Supt. Charles Hawkins. The women weren't left out either - some
were Oma Stinson, Katherine Stinson, Helen Mangrum and Pauline Mangrum.
In October 1960, Pleasant Valley
Church building was sold to James A. Mangrum. The last service
was held the third Sunday in October 1960. The following two
Sundays, Church School was held in Alton and Pauline Mangrum's
home. The first Sunday in November services began meeting in the
Triangle School building - within sight of the new church.
The first Sunday at Westview was
March 19,1961. The attendance was 101. it was a great
day! The church was dedicated in November 1964. Rev.
Fenton Warren was Dist. Supt. and David Kannon was pastor. In
1965, Westview was a station church and began working toward a
David Kannon was the first pastor for
the Westview Station Church. David was seriously injured in an
auto accident and Fenton Warren, Dist Supt. preached for us until
Charge Conferences took all his time. Baxton Bryant filled the
pulpit to finish out that year. Don Stone was here 10
months. Fred Morris followed. We were on the charge with
Garrison Church for a year.
In 1968, Westview Methodist Church became
Westview United Methodist Church when the Methodist Church merged with
the Undated Brethren Church.
In 1969, David "Hap"
Eliason was sent to Westview. "Hap" stayed 7 years and
left in 1976. The parsonage was built in 1976 and the first
pastor to move into the new parsonage was Lloyd Mabry and his
family. 1976 was also the year Westview received its first full
time pastor which was Lloyd Mabry.
In 1982-83, a new sanctuary,
fellowship hall and Sunday school classroom were added to the original
building. The first worship services were celebrated in the
spring of 1983 in the new sanctuary. The original church
building was dedicated to Mrs. Oma Stinson on March 15, 1998, during
the 37th Anniversary Service.
The Westview United Methodist Church
has been faithfully served by many clergy. The faithfulness of
the clergy has been matched by continued faithfulness and dedication
of the laity of the Westview congregations.